Simon made me do it.
I had another post all set to go today but Simon’s post wrapping up
his year has compelled me to do my own, because I’m just, you know,
obsessive that way.
The thing is, I know a recount will be good for me. I’m a
workaholic (oh, just admit it, THIS crowd? You all so are too…).
I’m always focusing on what I NEED to do, rather than what I’ve done.
More than that, I beat myself up about what I haven’t done. For a
non-Catholic, non-Jew, I have the guilt thing down to a science.
But when I look back on it, it really was an amazing year. Let’s see now…
– My first novel, THE HARROWING,
was published by St. Martin’s Press in September. Now, that alone is
a year’s worth, right? I’m an author now. And having lived a good
long time as a professional writer, slave to Hollywood, I can tell you
that author is something else, entirely.
– I joined Sisters in Crime, Mystery Writers of America, Horror
Writers of America, Romance Writers of America and the International
Thriller Writers as a published author – and met hundreds of the most
incredible authors, readers, librarians, bookstore owners/staff, all
over the country. (And let me tell you, the librarians have the best
parties of ALL…).
– I went to PLA in Boston, Malice Domestic in Arlington, ThrillerFest in Phoenix, BEA in DC, World Horror Con in San Francisco, ALA in New Orleans, Bouchercon
in Madison, World Fantasy Con in Austin, SIBA in Orlando, NCIBA in
Oakland, the LA Times Festival of Books in Los Angeles, Cape Fear Crime
Festival in Wilmington, Heather Graham’s Writers for New Orleans
in Paris (just kidding – I got to go to New Orleans again for that
one…). I’m always saying I want more travel in my life – well, I’ve
got it now, in spades.
– I debuted with the Killer Thriller Band as
a Killerette and got to sing and dance with some of my all-time
favorite authors who are also kick-ass musicians. Yes, I am a rock
star as a hobby. Clearly I’m doing something right….
– I went on a nine-state book tour: North Carolina, South Carolina,
Georgia, Florida, California, Arizona, Louisiana, Texas and Wisconsin.
See travel fetish above.
– I finished my second novel, THE PRICE, also a supernatural thriller, which will be out from St. Martin’s at the end of 2007.
– I wrote my very first short story, “The Edge of Seventeen”, for THE DARKER MASK,
an illustrated anthology of, well, dark, superhero stories, which will
be out from Tor in January of 2008. I am beyond thrilled with how it
came out and how fast and fun it was to write (I did a whole rough
draft on the plane from Raleigh to L.A.) and it made me realize that
there’s something to this short story thing after all.
– WriterAction, the website
and union Town Hall I founded for professional screenwriters, hit 1900
members in our third year. I am in my small way following in the
pro-union, Commie footsteps of giants: my idols Dorothy Parker and
Lillian Hellman. The people united will never be defeated.
– I joined this horrifying, reprobate crowd at Murderati – the blog
I most wanted to be a part of but never dreamed I’d actually be asked. Now THAT’S what I call a Christmas present!!
– I made the most amazing friends. Truly. I already have the most
amazing friends on the planet and now I have this whole new crop of
miraculous, witty, sexy, talented people in my life. In one year I
feel completely part of this incredible mystery community – it’s like
family, and like heaven… and enough like hell to give it that edge,
I am so grateful.
And I am so ready for 2007.
And now I want to hear about your 2006!
Happy New Year to all…