by J.D. Rhoades
Okay, the weather’s getting warmer,
the first buds are appearing here on flowering trees and shrubs, my wife’s
recovering nicely from the scare we had a couple weeks ago, and it’s Daylight
Saving time again.
Yes, I’m one of the few people I
know who likes DST, and wishes it could be all year round. I like having some
sunlight left when I leave the office. Having
the clocks change means there’s more time in the evenings to take a walk or a
bike ride, sit out on the deck with a guitar and a cold drink, or whatever. I’m
willing to put up with a day or two of time change lag for that.
On the whole, things are looking
decidedly more cheerful here inside my head, and I’m feeling frisky, and not at all in the mood for a serious post about craft and such.
So let’s have some fun and play a
game. This is one I like to call “iPod Roulette,” and it’s a great way for us
to all get to know each other better (and maybe discover some new music). You don’t necessarily need an Apple iPod
to play it…any Mp3 player or computer music player will do, so long as it has a
“Shuffle” feature that allows you to play random songs from your library. It
goes like this: (1) Hit Shuffle. (2) In the comments, post the first twenty songs
that come up. (You can forward through if you don’t want to listen to all of
them before posting). (3) Be honest.
This last part is crucial. C’mon,
we’re all friends here, and if you secretly have Tom Jones singing What’s New
Pussycat in your music library, no one will laugh at you. Much. Well, okay,
we’ll probably laugh. A lot. But it’ll be warm, friendly laughter, not like
that time when I read my love poem out loud in English class and everyone knew
it was about…never mind.
Ready? Okay, I’ll start:
Van Morrison, Moonshine Whiskey
Todd Rundgren, It Wouldn’t Have Made Any Difference
Clannad, Siuil A Run
Richard Thompson, Nearly In Love
Jimmy Buffett, Tampico Trauma
Adam and the Ants, Goody Two Shoes
Steely Dan, Throw Back the Little Ones
The Wallflowers, 6th
Little Richard, Ooh! My Soul
Elton John, Take Me to the Pilot
Enya, Wild Child
Jethro Tull, Wond’ring Aloud
George Thorogood, Move It On Over
Buddy Guy, Damn Right I’ve Got the Blues
Muddy Waters, Rollin’ and Tumblin’
Electric Light Orchestra, Telephone Line
Talking Heads, Life During Wartime
Grateful Dead, Black Peter
Randy Newman, Bad News From Home
The Beatles, Hey Bulldog
of you without iPods or other computerized musical players, feel free to weigh
in on how they’re destroying human interaction as we know it. Or gripe about
Daylight Saving Time. Or tell us about your favorite new-to-you music. It’s spring, and I’m in too good a mood to argue.
Dusty, I hadn’t seen your February blog about Lynn’s condition. So glad she’s doing well! I’m off to take my own sweet Cabana Boy in for a medical procedure this morning, but will play your iTunes roulette when I return.
In the meantime, just know that I seriously want to clone your playlist.
Damn, some pretty great music came up on my roulette (if I do say so myself).
1. Blues Leave Me Alone–Eric Clapton2. WIld Honey–U23. Something To Talk About–Bonnie Raitt4. #41–Dave Matthews Band5. So Right–Dave Matthews6. Five Long Years–Eric Clapton7. Grace–U28. Porky And Pale–Leo Kottke9. Guiltiness–Bob Marley and the Whalers10. Back To The Island–Jimmy Buffett11. Heartland–Willie Nelson12. Will You Think Of Me–Robert Cray Band13. You’ll Be Coming Down–Bruce Springsteen14. Brown Sugar–Rolling Stones15. Posters–Jack Johnson16. Gimme What You Got–Don Henley17. I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight–Bob Dylan18. Creeps Like Me–Lyle Lovett19. Have A Heart–Bonnie Raitt20. Rock Steady–Bonnie Raitt
1. The Cramps – Can Your Pussy Do The Dog2. Alien Sex Fiend – Ignore The Machine3. The Killers – For Reasons Unknown4. Green Day – Macy’s Day Parade5. The Ramones – Blitzkrieg Bop6. St Jude’s Infirmary – Goodbye Jack Vettriano7. The Fratellis – Chelsea Dagger8. The Switches – Drama Queen9. Nancy Sinatra – The Boots Are Made For Walking10. The Tea Party – The Messenger11. Sum 41 – Pieces12. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Maps13. The View – Superstar Tradesman14.The Ministry – Jesus Built My Hotrod15. The Distillers – Drain The Blood16. Dean Martin – Send Me The Pillow That You Dream On17. Muse – Plug In Baby18. Ann Miller – Too Darn Hot19. Flaming Stars – Bring Me The Rest of Alfredo Garcia20. The Clash – White Man At The Hammersmith Palais
Loving what I see so far. Keep ’em coming.
1. Brandenburg Concerto – Maria Garatti2. If You Really Love Me – Stevie Wonder3. Do What You Do, Do – Stan Getz4. Ozone Baby – Led Zeppelin5. Half Moon – Janis Joplin6. 117th Street – Herbie Nichols7. If I Were a Bell – Miles Davis8. The Good Life/I Wanna Be Around – Tony Bennett9. The Friends’ Song – Mark Knopfler10. Play It Momma – Mary Lou Williams11.. The Gig – Herbie Nichols12. In From the Storm – Jimi Hendrix13. The Way I Am – Eminem14. Angel – Aerosmith15. Smooth – Santana & Rob Thomas16. Lover Man – Art Tatum17. Anedac – Wilbur Harden & John Coltrane18. Slip Slidin’ Away – Paul Simon19. Rafiki – Zap Mama20. Wham – Stevie Ray Vaughan
That was fun 😉
1. Get Behind The Mule – Tom Waits2. Liberty Ship – The La’s3. Morning Lemon – The Chemical Brothers4. Song For The Man – Beastie Boys5. Redemption Song – Toots & The Maytals6. Love On A Mountain Top – Robert Knight7. Summer (Overture) – Clint Mansell (featuring The Kronos Quartet)8. Saturday Night Special – Lynyrd Skynyrd9. La Hiedra Venenosa – Los Straitjackets10. Someone To Love – Rare Earth11. Trampled By The Sun – The Gourds12. Fake Streets Hats – The Streets13. Out In The Country – Three Dog Night14. Tear Off Your Own Head – Elvis Costello15. Fish In The Jailhouse – Tom Waits16. Up On Cripple Creek – The Band17. Electioneering – Radiohead18. Brand New Dub – Roots Manuva19. 1st Chapter (of Odin’s Raven Magic) – Sigur Ros20. Surfin’ USA – The Beach Boys
Well, that was a strange experience.
Okay, Dusty, I ran down to my car and got my iPod. Here’s what showed up:
The Bloodhound Gang – The Bad TouchGreenday – Jesus of SuburbiaU2 – Stuck in the MomentEric Clapton – Wonderful TonightPink Floyd – Wish You Were HereBlues Traveler – All For YouWho – Baba O’ReillyPink Floyd – TimeSupertramp – DreamerBeach Boys – Surfer GirlJoe Satriani – Motorcycle DrivenBTO – Taking Care of BusinessJohn Mayers – Waiting For the World to ChangeHuman League – Do You Want MeOne Republic – ApologizeChristina Aguilera – Beautiful (Dance Remix)Beatles – Can’t Buy Me LoveBlue October – Hate MeReal Big Fish – Take Me OnREM – Losing My Religion
I have an ipod…that I never listen to. I can’t listen to music and write. So, I’ll give you the 6 CDs in the CD player in my car:
1) Miranda Lambert2) Audioslave3) Little Big Town4) Billy Currington5) Godsmack6) either George Strait or Dwight Yoakam —
Daylight Savings Time completely SUCKS! It’s hard enough to get my body to wake up at a certain time every day, and you want me to CHANGE it??? To wake up even EARLIER?
It’s not like just because a clock says a different thing, my body’s clock doesn’t know the difference. I STILL can’t fall asleep until 12 – 1, which is now 1 – 2. And that’s much worse, because I STILL have to get up at the same clock time. So really, Daylight Savings Time means I lose an hour of sleep for most of the year.
I find DST to be another example of how the world is prejudiced for morning people, and how morning people have better advantages.
I passionately hate DST. It’s unfair.
I’ll follow Lori’s lead and just report what CDs are in our car. The following is a weird mishmash of my and my husband’s music:
1) The soundtrack from the movie Garden State2) Harold Melvin & the Bluenotes–Greatest Hits3) Corinne Bailey Rae4) Norah Jones–Come Away with Me5) Ulali–Mahk Jchi (Native American female group)6) Cesaria Evora–Cafe Atlantico7) Loggins & Messina–Their Music8) Marvin Gaye–Gold
Okay, I vote for moving the clocks half an hour one year and leaving them there forever. But whatever. Love the music I’m seeing so far, and feeling the itch to spend some money. Ouch! 😀
Here’s my last 20:
“Aria [With Michael Gambon – Layer Cake Speech]” – Lisa Gerrard”Fly Like an Eagle” – Steve Miller Band”Ricochet, Pt. 2″ – Tangerine Dream”White Belly” – Belly”Everloving” – Moby”Optimistic” – Radiohead”Return to the Hive” – Philip Glass”Song 2″ – Blur”The Show Must Go On” – Queen”This Woman’s Work” – Kate Bush”Pleasant Valley Sunday” – The Monkees”I Will Survive” – Gloria Gaynor”Let Me Entertain You” – Queen”Of These, Hope” – Peter Gabriel”Rockaria!” – Electric Light Orchestra”Now They’ll Sleep” – Belly”Terminal Frost” – Pink Floyd”Wuthering Heights” – Kate Bush”I Feel Like Going Home” – Yo La Tengo”God Knows (You Gotta Give to Get)” – El Perro del Mar
So, Spyscribbler, I just want to make sure I’m clear. You don’t like DST?
You wouldn’t make a good travler, now. Try zipping across 13 time zones to China a couple of times each year. The phenomenon of getting to Chicago BEFORE you left Beijing 12 1/2 hours after you left is baffling.
This is great, Dusty. Here’s my Nano list:
Oooh, what a start…
The Questionnaires – “Fool’s Paradise”Paul Weller – “You Do Something To Me”The Cars – “Tonight She Comes”Mojo Nixon – “Don Henley Must Die”The Police – “Can’t Stand Losing You”Neko Case – “Hex”Pixies – “Debaser” (Live in Norfolk, VA)Garbage – “Run Baby Run”Bryan Ferry – “Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues”Talk Talk – “Life’s What You Make It”Willie Nelson & Ray Price – “I’m So Ashamed”Arctic Monkeys – “Fluorescent Adolescent”
A break has been taken so I can dance around the living room… the cat is vastly diverted… LOVE that song…
The Clash – “Lost in the Supermarket”The Royal Court of China – “Half the Truth”Chagall Guevara – “Tale O’ The Twister”Venus Hum – “Montana”Ratt – “Way Cool Jr”Catherine Wheel – “Crank”Mark Knopfler – “Punish the Monkey”(and let the organ grinder gooeeoo…)
And finally…Three Days Grace – “Animal I Have Become”Head banging ensues….
The Merciful One – Zohar from Buddha Bar 1In a Sentimental Mood – John ColtraneRed Hill Mining Town – U2Porch – Pearl JamTuareg – Le Duc from Buddha Bar 1Song of the Black Lizard – Pink MartiniNaima – John ColtraneRiver – The Mission SoundtrackDing Din Don – Edith PiafChanges – David BowieMy Man – Billie HolidayPsique – From Buddha Bar 1Don’t Blame Me – Nat King Cole TrioMy Love – Lenny KravitzBreak the Night with Colour – Richard AshcroftEverybody’s Talkin’ – Louis ArmstrongAmado Mio – Pink MartiniPartance – Edith PiafMr. Bitterness – Soul CoughingLush Life – John Coltrane
Live from my Creative Zen Micro-
1. Fame – Irene Cara2. This Street, That Man, This Life – Cowboy Junkies3. Original of the Species – U24. Another Postcard – Barenaked Ladies5. Forever in Blue Jeans – Neil Diamond6. Saturday’s Child – The Monkees7. Fur Elise – Beethoven8. Eli, The Barrow Boy – The Decemberists9. No Reply At All – Genesis10. Falling Down – Minus Ted11. Man I Used To Be – K-Os12. Is She Really Going Out With Him – Joe Jackson13. Natural Blues – Moby14. Buffalo Soldier – Bob Marley15. Pleasant Valley Sunday – The Monkees16. Man On The Corner – Genesis17. Idlewild Blue – Outkast18. Born to be a Bachelor – Gaelic Storm19. One Shot 2 Shot – Eminem20. Play That Funky Music – White Cherry
I’m noticing a fair amount of classic rock (not that there’s anything wrong with that) on people’s list. Here’s my 20 from a dissenting iPod shuffle:
1. The Magic Numbers – Hymn For Her2. Clannad – In A Lifetime3. Rachel Yamagata – The Reason Why4. Son Volt – Tear Stained Eye5. Damien Rice – The Blower’s Daughter6. Damien Jurado – Abeliene7. Thievery Corp. – Satyam Shivam Sundaram8. Stars – The Big Fight9. Etherial 77 – Dawn10. The Go! Team – Panther Dash11. New Order – Krafty12. Magnet – Where Happiness Lives13. Trespassers William – Lie In The Sound14. Aqualung – Easier To Lie15. HEM – Jackson16. Maura O’Connel – There’s No Good Time17. The Good Life – Inmates18. Gomez – Split The Difference19. Bloc Party – Plans20. Finley Quaye – Dice
As J.T.’s primary financial and music advisor, I felt compelled to include one of the more schizophrenic entries.
Neko Case – “Maybe Sparrow”The Tragically Hip – “Little Bones”Hard-Fi – “I Shall Overcome”The Strokes – “Last Night”The Alarm – “Sold Me Down The River”Seal – “Crazy”The Clutters – “Rock & Roll”Queens of the Stone Age – “I Wanna Make it Wit Chu” (Live)Jerry Reed – “Amos Moses”The The – “Infected”The Royal Court of China – “Six Empty Bottles”Black Rebel Motorcycle Club – “Love Burns”Tommy Womack – “A Songwriter’s Prayer”U2 – “Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own”Aztec Camera – “The Crying Scene”The Bravery – “An Honest Mistake”James McMurtry – “Too Long in the Wasteland” (Live)Metric – “Poster of a Girl”Dwight Yoakam -“Lonesome Roads”Delbert McClinton – “Monkey Around” (Live)
Jerry Reed! Mojo Nixon! Son Volt! The The! Man, I’m hearing names I haven’t thought of in years. Time to rummage through the dusty stretches of the CD collection…
Wah! I wanna play but can’t. No iPod, no MP3. I don’t think they’re destroying human civilization . . . just don’t have one and wouldn’t know how to program it if I did.
Let me be your third world country — the BobsAint Gonna be Your Bride — Carrie Rodrigues
Ah . . . darn
1.’The Dope [Wonderful you]’- Andy Warhols2.’Next Exit’ – Interpol3.’The Eternal’ – Joy Division4.’The Killing Moon’ – Echo and the Bunnymen5.’Roxanne’ – The Police6.’Cold Acre’ – Augie March7.’Friday I’m in Love’ – The Cure8.’A-Punk’ – Vampire Weekend9.’here I dreamt I was an architect – The Decemberists10.’House of Jealous Lovers’ – Rapture11.’This boy’ – Franz Ferdinand12.’Little Red Corvette’ – Prince13.’Surfing Magazines’ – The Go-Betweens14.’We don’t play guitars’- Chicks on speed15.’Paint it black’ – The Rolling Stones16.’Parents Living Room’ – Shout out Louds17.’Cloudbusting’ – Kate Bush18.’Handsome Devil’ – The Smiths19.’Still in Love’ – Nick Cave20.’Boom, Boom, Boom,Boom’ – The Venga Boys
Jerry Reed!! I’m pretty sure When You’re Hot, You’re Hot is somewhere on my player.
Gotta love Jerry-my momma does!!
Y’all have some excellent taste.
Dusty, great to hear that Lynn’s doing better; all good wishes still winging her direction.
I was just telling JT a couple of weeks ago that I was bored silly with the music I’d been playing forever. I’m glad you posted this topic — now I have a lot of new (to me) songs to try out.
Nice idea – now I have to go scavenge on Rhapsody for more music to stick in there.
1. Eric Clapton – “Alberta” (Unplugged)2. Julieta Venegas – “Algo está cambiando”3. Gipsy Kings – “Tú quieres volver”4. Ryan Adams – “You Will Always Be The Same”5. Umphreys McGee – “Women Wine and Song”6. Fito & Fitipaldis – “Abrazado a la tristeza”7. Eric Clapton – “Before You Accuse Me” (Unplugged)8. Gipsy Kings – “Oy”9. Nickelback – “Savin’ Me”10. KT Tunstall – “Suddenly I See”11. Shakira – “Suerte (Whenever, Wherever)”12. Bonnie Raitt – “You”13. Israel Kamakawiwo’ole – “Somewhere Over the Rainbow / What a Wonderful World”14. El sueño de Morfeo – “Ojos de cielo”15. Sarah McLachlan – “Wait”16. Fábula – “Photo”17. “Themesong” from Shakespeare in Love18. John Waite – “Missing You”19. Fito & Fitipaldis – “Medalla de cartón”20. Chris Thomas King – “Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?”
Oh my goodness! I’m going to be spending a LOT of time on iTunes and Pandora, learning about some of this music, I can see that.
And congratulations about Lynn! I cannot begin to imagine how shocking and gut-wrenching that must have been!
Okay, here goes.
1. Alice’s Restaurant – Arlo Guthrie2. Bat Out of Hell – Meatloaf3. Sailing to Philadelphia – Mark Knopfler (with James Taylor)4. Come on, Eileen – Dexy’s Midnight Runners5. Become You – Indigo Girls6. Saxophones – Jimmy Buffett7. She’s Not Innocent – Antigone Rising8. Unwell – Matchbox 209. The Bergen – The Tannahill Weavers10. Scarecrow – Melissa Etheridge11. Following Me – Steeleye Span12. Coast of Malabar – Chieftans and Ry Cooder13. Under the Boardwalk – Bruce Willis14. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For – U215. Hallelujah – k. d. lang16. Drive – The Cars17. Up Until Then – John Gorka18. Daniel Remembers – Carlos Ruiz Zafon19. Pancho and Lefty – Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson20. Nothing But a Breeze – Jesse Winchester
I can’t believe I’m owning up to Bruce Willis, but there you go, you said be honest.
(Just my luck to follow the spam entry…!)
There’s some variety on my list, but it’s nowhere near as weird as it could have been:
1. Shawn Colvin – Orion in the Sky2. Tom Waits – All Stripped Down3. Dido – Stoned4. Santana – Waves Within5. Sheryl Crowe – Wildflower6. Tom Waits – Let Me Get Up On It7. Flogging Molly – To My Youth (My Sweet Roisin Dubh)8. Great Big Sea – Concerning Charlie Horse9. Simon & Garfunkel – I Am A Rock10. Leonard Cohen – I’m Your Man11. Pink – Family Portrait12. Robert Michaels – Sunchild13. Peter Gabriel – Red Rain14. Rolling Stones – Torn and Frayed15. Ruthie Foster – Small Town Blues16. Jonie Mitchell – All I Want17. Santana – All the Love of the Universe18. Great Big Sea – Margarita19. Peter Gabriel – Solsbury Hill20. Sarah Brightman – Anytime, Anywhere
Hi Dusty – am I too late to join in with this?
First of all, really shocked to hear about Lynn. Give her our best regards and thank goodness you were so sure she ought to go to the doctor.
We don’t have an iPod, but listen to constant CDs and I have a plan that one day I will download them all onto a spare computer hard drive and just set it running on full random play every morning when I sit down to write. (Of course, I also have this fantasy that I *will* be able to sit down and do nothing but write every morning, but there you go.)
However, we did a 620-mile trip this week and took a case of CDs with us in the car so, in no particular order, here they are:
A Fine Frenzy – ‘One Cell in the Sea’James Blunt – ‘All The Lost Souls’Snow Patrol – ‘Eyes Open’Evanescence – ‘The Open Door’Jann Arden – Greatest HitsSarah McLachlan – ‘Fumbling Towards Ecstacy’Goldfrapp – ‘Black Cherry’Counting Crows – ‘August and Everything After’Q magazine compilationSandi Thom – ‘Smile … It Confuses People’
Well, that was fun. And I can we I’m going to have to succumb to an iPod sooner or later.