By PD Martin
Well, today is my birthday. When I first drew 22 May in the Wildcard Tuesday schedule I was going to swap it, but then I thought maybe a birthday post would be fitting. You know, another year older (although today I’m actually only a day older!), have I accomplished what I wanted in the past year, cool birthday presents, you know…easy, right? Plus, I discovered via Facebook alerts that I’m not the only Murderati with a 22 May birthday…hard to believe that both Gar and I were born on the same day!
Anyway, here in Australia it’s night time – and I’ve had a fabulous day. But first, leading up to my birthday I’ve been feeling all reflective about this past year. What have I accomplished? What haven’t I accomplished in the year that perhaps I wanted to? Do you do that?
Here are my runs on the board for 22 May 2011 to 22 May 2012:
- My daughter started school (big milestone for us both in this past year)
- I’ve gone crazy on the ebook strategy and released two Sophie Anderson short stories (The Missing), two true-crime shorts (When Justice Fails), The Wanderer (Pippa Dee fantasy novel) and Hell’s Fury (the first “PD Martin” book in over two years, and book 1 in a new series)
Things that I expected to happen this year, but haven’t:
- Really thought I’d have a new agent by now (my last one passed away nearly eighteen months ago)
- I thought I would have edited my mainstream drama novel and have it out at agents (too busy with the ebook stuff, I guess)
- Thought I’d be a little bit wealthier (financial wealth, that is … sigh)
- I thought I’d be slimmer (double sigh and pat of the tummy that doth protrude too much)
Still, all in all it’s been an excellent year. I’m happily married, loving family life (especially my gorgeous Grace), PLUS I’ve actually been very productive in terms of writing, especially in the last five months.
As for birthday presents. Here’s my catch:
- Kindle Touch – sooooo excited!!!!!
- Bright pink nightie (yes, from Grace)
- Wireless mouse (much-needed)
- Massager set (probably also much-needed but I need to sit down and relax long enough to use them)
- Cash (to be spent on heart rate monitor with calorie counter, I think)
And I’ve had an amazing day. Hubby took the day off work and we went to see Dark Shadows AND The Avengers. We’re both huge movie buffs but find actually getting to the movies much harder nowadays. Then there was birthday cake, and a stunning dinner. Yes, I’ve been spoilt.
So … how do you celebrate and/or deal with birthdays? How’s your year going so far? And what’s your best birthday present ever? Hopefully Gar will stop by today to tell us about his birthday too!
Happy birthday to me…and Gar!